May 10th, 2014 National Train Day Celebration!
Theme:Why should everyone be stuck in traffic? With 101 construction to last over a decade, the obvious solution is waiting at the station. Ventura to Goleta commuter rail is needed NOW!
- Rail Passengers Association of California & Nevada (RailPAC)
- Coalition for Sustainable Transportation (COAST)
- Alliance for Sustainable and Equitable Regional Transportation (ASERT)
- Coastal Rail Now (CRN)
- Elected Officials invited include Das Williams, Salud Carbajal, and Helene Schneider
- Train lovers from far and wide!
What: A train ride at 9:20am to Carpinteria, and back to SB at 10:15. Munch on food from OmniCatering, decorate train cookies from Fresco Café, and enjoy giveaways from Amtrak. The Press Conference begins at10:30 with elected officials. You’ll hear them address the vital role that rail plays in creating a sustainable community, the importance of rail in relieving congestion on the 101, and the necessity of working across county lines. Videographer Larry Nimmer will capture all the action.
When: May 10th, 2014
You’re invited to ride along with local families and elected officials to Carpinteria and back starting at 9:20am, or greet the train’s arrival at 10:15 am at the Santa Barbara station, which coincides with the event’s official kick-off and 10:30 press conference.
- 9:00 am: Arrival at Santa Barbara train station to prepare for 9:20am departure.
- 9:20 am: Depart the Santa Barbara train station southbound for Carpinteria.
- 9:20 am: Ventura County attendees depart Oxnard station northbound for SB.
- 9:35 am: Southbound riders detrain at the Carpinteria station.
- 9:57 am: Board the northbound train for return to Santa Barbara.
- 10:15 am: Train arrives in Santa Barbara – National Train Day 2014 begins!
- 10:30 am: Press conference with elected officials, with press availability to follow.
Where: Santa Barbara Train Station (209 State St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101)
Contact: Dennis Story