Coast Starlight on Google Transit September 24th, 2010
Report by Jarrod DellaChiesa, RailPAC Director and Coast Starlight Communities Network Project Coordinator
It is with great pleasure that I announce that the Coast Starlight is now live on Google Transit!
In early 2008, the Coast Starlight Communities Network first suggested that Amtrak share their routes on Google Transit. CSCN began working with Amtrak and Google directly to add data on the Coast Starlight route in late 2008. In July 2009, Amtrak launched the 3 Amtrak California routes on Google Transit with CSCN testing those routes. I’ve been testing the Coast Starlight route on Google Transit over the last few months and this morning the route officially went live.
Try planning a trip anywhere on the West Coast, and if you are traveling between cities served by the Coast Starlight, you’ll see the option show up. I planned a mock trip between Seattle and Los Angeles so that you can see the overview of the entire route.
More Information on Google Transit
Transit on Google Maps is a public transportation planning tool that combines the latest agency data with the power of Google Maps. It integrates transit stop, route, schedule, and fare information to make trip planning quick and easy for everyone. For agencies around the world, Google Maps is a cost-effective solution targeted at transit novices and seasoned travelers alike. Google Maps is available in 12 different languages and is compatible with screen readers for the visually impaired. The Transit on Google Maps feature is available on selected mobile devices through Google Maps for mobile. Public transportation information is also included in Google Earth.
- Raising awareness of public transportation to attract new riders
- Helping seasoned riders discover new routes to maximize the your infrastructure investment
- Linking to your agency website to increase rider awareness
- Connecting neighboring agencies’ data to improve inter-agency connectivity
- Decreasing traffic congestion and environmental effects while increasing mobility
- Providing trip planning on both desktop and mobile devices